Hops & Drops
Do you freeze up when you approach a tricky drop-off; does your body tense, your mind panic and confidence desert you? And when you do get the better of your fear do you feel you are getting by on pure luck rather than good technique?
If this sounds like you then perhaps our Hops & Drops course might be able to help. Our highly experienced mountain bike coaches will take you through the techniques necessary to flow over drops of all sizes and to land feather light and in control.
After the course you will receive a massive boost in confidence on roll ins and drop offs, also manuals and bunny hops will become second nature and terrain that's seemingly out of reach today should move well within your grasp.
Great day on Sunday on your Hops & Drops course. It was the perfect blend of pushing the boundaries while acknowledging they're there in the first place
Sandy - Woking
The skills taught and practiced on this Skills Course include:
- Bike Set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Speed Control
Speed management on steep terrain
- Trail Obstacles
Manual dropping large roots and steps (up to 1m)
Wheelie dropping large roots and steps
Steep committing rolling drops
Bunny hops (English, American & hybrid)
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
If you have never received any professional mountain bike coaching before, we strongly suggest that you join a Level 2 Singletrack Improver course and practice regularly for at least a month to consolidate the learnings before booking this course
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 2 course - Singletrack Improver
- You have significant experience of riding off road and will have tried red and perhaps black graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on moderately steep, narrow singletrack trails with large rocks, root fans, steps, rollable drop-offs and other technical trail features
- You can already execute a proper Weight Shift Manual. If you are in any doubt please attend a Singletrack Improver course first
- You exercise more than twice a week and at least two of these sessions is on a bike
- You can ride up steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for five to six hours comfortably in a day
If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Improver course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 08:45-09:00 Arrival at course venue
- 09:00-09:30 Course commences, introductions and equipment check
- 09:30-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00 Course ends
With a professional instructor watching your every move, it's surprising how many faults they can find
Mark - York Mountaineering Club
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Optional afternoon guided ride
What better time to put into practice all your newly acquired skills than to join us in the afternoon for a superb guided singletrack ride around the local hills and valleys.
Our Singletrack Explorer guided rides are perfect for people who have attended our morning Hops & Drops Course. The ride costs just £30.00 and usually last around 2 hours.
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
To book online please click on your preferred date
- 3Places remaining
- ♀ Women only course
- ☺ Kids course (12-16 years)