Introduction to Mountain Biking Weekend
Learn to ride off-road in the beautiful Surrey Hills
Spend a weekend with us learning the fundamentals of mountain biking against the setting of the gorgeous Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Our Introduction to Mountain Biking Weekend will give you the core mountain bike skills that you can apply to any terrain, in any location, in any conditions. Starting with gentle terrain, our coaches will soon have you tackling trails you would never have previously attempted.
On Saturday morning we'll coach you on your fundamentals, whilst in the afternoon you'll have plenty of chance to try out your new skills with a ride around the singletrack trails of The Surrey Hills.
On Sunday we'll spend a whole day riding cross country through this outstandingly beautiful area and they'll be chance to take in one or two of the excellent pubs in the area so it doesn't all feel like hard work.
We all came away feeling that we can take our riding up another level with our new found knowledge
Richard - Redhill Cycling Club
The skills taught and practiced on the Introduction to Mountain Biking Weekend course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
- Body Position & Movement
'The Ready Position'
Moving around the bike in three dimensions
Dynamic weight shift
- Speed Control
Braking safely and effectively
When and where to brake
Cornering with speed and confidence
- Trail Obstacles
Negotiating trail obstacles
- Climbing & Descending
Negotiating steep terrain
Roll-ins & bomb holes
- Trail Flow
Reading the trail
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You're new to mountain biking or have not been riding off-road for more than a year or so
- You may have may have tried green and blue graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You can already ride a bike and understand the principles behind gear selection
- You can already ride comfortably on smooth trails such as tow paths, fire trails and easy bridleways
- You participate in formal exercise at least once per week, though not necessarily on a bike
- You can ride on flat or moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least two hours comfortably
If this sounds a little too basic, please choose our Singletrack Skills - Trail Essentials course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- Day 1 09:00-13:00 | Skills coaching session - The Fundamentals
- Day 1 13:00-14:00 | Lunch
- Day 1 14:00-16:00 | Singletrack ride in The Surrey Hills
- Day 2 09:30-13:00 | Cross country ride in The North Downs
- Day 2 13:00-14:00 | Lunch
- Day 2 14:00-16:00 | Cross country ride in The North Downs (continued)
Your professionalism & good company helped turn a chilly day in the woods into a very inspiring day
Matt - Muddy Moles Mountain Bike Club
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Want more coaching and less riding?
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Fast-track Singletrack Skills Weekend.
The Fast-track Skills Weekend costs £159.00 and includes the following sessions:
- Saturday AM - The Fundamentals level 1 skills course
- Saturday PM - Holmbury Hill Singletrack Explorer guided ride
- Sunday AM - Trail Essentials level 2 skills course
- Sunday PM - Hurtwood Explorer guided ride
Visit the Fast-track Singletrack Skills Weekend page for more information.
*Price does not include accommodation. Options with accommodation start at an inclusive price of £205.00 for the weekend
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
Including Saturday night hotel accommodation and breakfast on Sunday morning
Without Saturday night accommodation
Accommodation subject to availability.
*Based on two people sharing. £45 single occupancy supplement.
To book online please click on your preferred date
Holmbury Hill Surrey Hills
Mortimer Forest Shropshire Hills
Yearsley Forest North Yorkshire Moors
- 3Places remaining
- ♀ Women only course
- ☺ Kids course (12-16 years)