Mastering Steep Terrain Workshop
Do you find yourself losing your nerve when the trail dips steeply downhill ahead? Are you phased when a steep descent is littered with rocks, roots and steps? Do you find yourself pushing up more hills than you ride?
If this sounds like you then perhaps our Mastering Steep Terrain Workshop might be able to help. Our highly experienced mountain bike coaches will take you through the techniques necessary to confidently tackle steep technical terrain in both directions.
After the workshop you'll receive an enormous boost in speed and commitment on steep descents, you'll be able to tackle technical terrain with more confidence than ever before and your climbing will receive a massive upgrade in the range of climbs you can attack.
Huge thanks for the fantastic day I had doing the Mastering Steep Terrain course and the guided ride. I had so much fun and really learnt a lot. I'm sure it will improve my riding massively and make the 3 peaks cyclocross race just a little bit easier and quicker!
Jez - Ottershaw, Surrey
The skills taught and practiced on this Skills Workshop include:
- Bike Set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Speed Control
Speed management on steep terrain
Maintaining speed over rocks and roots
Mastering corners on steep terrain
Switchbacks; line choice, body movement and reading the trail
- Trail Obstacles
Manual dropping roots and steps
Steep committing rolling drops
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Attacking vs. defensive lines
Linking sections for flow
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 1 course - Singletrack Skills - The Fundamentals
- You regularily ride off road and will have tried blue and perhaps red graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is on a bike
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
If this sounds beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Skills - The Fundamentals course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 13:45-14:00 Arrival at course venue
- 14:00-14:15 Course commences, introductions and equipment check
- 14:15-17:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 17:00 Course ends
Thanks for the great Mastering Steep Terrain course this afternoon - was really impressed with the video coaching. What a great idea!
Mike - Southampton
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
£60.00 inc. VAT
For afternoon skills course
To book online please click on your preferred date
- 3Places remaining
- ♀ Women only course
- ☺ Kids course (12-16 years)