Tackling Rocks & Roots Workshop
Do you stiffen up at the sight of greasy, wet roots up ahead? Do your wheels slip and spin regardless of what line you take? Do you sometimes walk technical sections whilst others ride them with ease? What about rocks? Does a rubble strewn trail fill you with horror and do you cringe at the sight of a rocky step?
If this sounds like you then perhaps our Tackling Rocks & Roots Workshop might be able to help. Our highly experienced mountain bike coaches will take you through the techniques necessary to flow over rocks and roots effortlessly, to pick the perfect line for maximum traction and to think yourself through to the other side.
After the workshop you will be able to ride both wet and dry roots with confidence, tackle rocky steps with ease, pick the fastest line in all conditions and to sail over complex terrain with control and commitment.
"I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Tackling Rocks & Roots course yesterday. Jess was a great instructor, providing a good balance of tuition versus practice."
Richard - Guildford
The skills taught and practiced on this Skills Workshop include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
Choosing the right suspension set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
Weighting & unweighting the bike
- Speed Control
Speed management on steep terrain
Maintaining speed over rocks and roots
- Trail Obstacles
Using Manual Front Wheel Lifts to negotiate obstacles
Manual dropping roots and steps
Powered front-wheel lifts and rear wheel lifts
- Climbing & Descending
Climbing with speed & efficiency
Maximizing grip and traction
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Attacking vs. defensive lines
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 1 course - Singletrack Skills - The Fundamentals
- You regularily ride off road and will have tried blue and perhaps red graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on narrow singletrack trails with small rocks, roots and steps
- You exercise at least twice a week and at least one of these sessions is on a bike
- You can ride moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least three hours comfortably
If this sounds beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Skills - The Fundamentals course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 08:45-09:00 Arrival at course venue
- 09:00-09:30 Course commences, introductions and equipment check
- 09:30-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00 Course ends
The lesson was fab and then the consolidation at Dalby was excellento! Simon (the coach) was lovely and we all took a lot away from the day
Melody - Manchester
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Optional afternoon guided ride
What better time to put into practice all your newly acquired skills than to join us in the afternoon for a superb guided singletrack ride around the local hills and valleys.
Our Singletrack Explorer guided rides are perfect for people who have attended our morning Tackling Rocks & Roots Workshop. The ride costs just £30.00 and usually last around 3 hours.
Upgrade to a full weekend of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Mountain Bike Improver Weekend.
The Mountain Bike Improver Weekend costs £179.00 and includes the following sessions:
- Saturday AM - Trail Essentials level 2 skills course
- Saturday PM - Hurtwood Singletrack Explorer guided ride
- Sunday AM - Tackling Rocks & Roots level 2 technique workshop
- Sunday PM - Leith Hill Explorer guided ride
Visit the Mountain Bike Improver Weekend page for more information.
*Price does not include accommodation. Options with accommodation start at an inclusive price of £225.00 for the weekend
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
£80.00 inc. VAT
For morning skills course only
£110.00 inc. VAT
Including morning skills course and 3 hour afternoon guided ride*
*Mixed gender group
To book online please click on your preferred date
Holmbury Hill Surrey Hills
- 3Places remaining
- ♀ Women only course
- ☺ Kids course (12-16 years)