Finding Speed & Flow
Why our Finding Speed & Flow course?
So you're a competent mountain biker or XC racer and can ride most technical terrain with confidence. So why can't you go as fast as your friends? The answer is that you probably haven't yet found your flow.
Our Finding Speed & Flow coaching course looks at the key elements to finding your flow and builds upon your existing skills to improve your trail speed and energy management.
After the course you will gain a boost in speed and commitment on fast flowing singletrack, switchbacks, berms; all of which achieved with far less pedalling by using the topography of the trail to retain, and even, increase speed.
It was very enlightening to see how the coach could read my riding and translate the shortcomings into understandable words for me
Casper - Richmond upon Thames, London
The skills taught and practiced on the Finding Speed & Flow course include:
- Bike Set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Body Position & Movement
Moving around the bike in three dimensions
Weighting & unweighting the bike
- Speed Control
When and where to brake
Carrying speed on the trail
Attacking flat corners for speed
Riding berms; high vs. low lines
Pumping corners for speed and grip
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Pumping for free speed
Linking sections for flow
Pump assisted braking
Pumping for air vs. keeping wheels on the ground
Manual pickups to maintain speed through rollers
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
If you have never received any professional mountain bike coaching before, we strongly suggest that you join a Level 2 Singletrack Improver course and practice regularly for at least a month to consolidate the learnings before booking this course
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 2 course - Singletrack Improver
- You have significant experience of riding off road and will have tried red and perhaps black graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on moderately steep, narrow singletrack trails with large rocks, root fans, steps, rollable drop-offs and other technical trail features
- You can already execute a proper Weight Shift Manual. If you are in any doubt please attend a Singletrack Improver course first
- You exercise more than twice a week and at least two of these sessions is on a bike
- You can ride steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for five to six hours comfortably in a day
If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Improver course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 08:45-09:00 Arrival at course venue
- 09:00-09:30 Course commences, introductions and equipment check
- 09:30-09.45 Warm-up ride to skills area
- 09:45-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00-13:30 Review and next steps
Thanks to Gary (the coach) who was a great teacher & really knew how to push me in the right way that meant I achieved exactly what I wanted to achieve!
Jo - Hove, East Sussex
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Optional afternoon guided ride
What better time to put into practice all your newly acquired skills than to join us in the afternoon for a superb guided singletrack ride around the local hills and valleys.
Our Singletrack Explorer guided rides are perfect for people who have attended our morning Finding Speed & Flow course.
The ride costs just £30.00 and usually last around 2 hours.
Upgrade to a full weekend of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Advanced Improver Weekend.
The Advanced Improver Weekend costs £179.00 and includes the following sessions:
- Saturday AM - Finding Speed & Flow level 3 skills course
- Saturday PM - Hurtwood Singletrack Explorer guided ride
- Sunday AM - Hops & Drops level 3 technique course
- Sunday PM - Leith Hill Explorer guided ride
Visit the Advanced Improver Weekend page for more information.
*Price does not include accommodation. Options with accommodation start at an inclusive price of £225.00 for the weekend
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
For morning skills course only
Including morning skills course and 2 hour afternoon guided ride
To book online please click on your preferred date
Holmbury Hill Surrey Hills
- 3Places remaining
- ♀ Women only course
- ☺ Kids course (12-16 years)