Singletrack Skills - Alpine Skills
Take your skills from the red into the black
So you're comfortable riding Red Graded trail centre trails, but lack the advanced skills you need to survive when the trail technicality goes beyond rollable. Our Singletrack Skills - Alpine Skills course will give you the skills and confidence to ride Black Graded trails like a pro.
Our expert coaches will teach you the technical skills you'll need to ride alpine terrain like it's second nature. We'll build your confidence on steep terrain and get you riding steep switchbacks and drops offs with style and finesse.
After the course you will receive a massive boost in speed and commitment on steep corners, drop offs (up to around one metre) and on flowing alpine style descents; all of which achieved with far less physical effort.
For anybody that wants to go to the next level with their mountain biking I can't recommend the Alpine Skills course enough. I never thought I'd be manualling off 1 metre drops without thinking about it!
Michael - Aldershot
The skills taught and practiced on the Alpine Skills course include:
- Bike Set-up
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
Positive thinking and visualisation
Dismissing distractions to maintain concentration and commitment
Developing confidence through fundamentals instead of luck
- Speed Control
Speed management on steep terrain
Maintaining speed over rocks and roots
Mastering corners on steep terrain
Switchbacks; line choice, body movement and reading the trail
- Trail Obstacles
Manual dropping large roots and steps (up to 1m)
Wheelie dropping large roots and steps
Steep committing rolling drops
Bunny hops (English, American & hybrid)
- Trail Flow
Reading and breaking down the trail into sections
Attacking vs. defensive lines
Linking sections for flow
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You are already confident and competent in all aspects of our Level 2 course - Singletrack Skills - Trail Essentials
- You have significant experience of riding off road and will have tried red and perhaps black graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You have your own mountain bike (we have bikes available to hire if your bike is not available)
- You can already ride confidently on moderately steep, narrow singletrack trails with large rocks, root fans, steps, rollable drop-offs and other technical trail features
- You can already execute a proper Manual Front Wheel Lift. If you are in any doubt please attend a Singletrack Skills - Trail Essentials course first
- You exercise more than twice a week and at least two of these sessions is on a bike
- You can ride steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for five to six hours comfortably in a day
If this sounds a little beyond your current skill and fitness level, please choose our Singletrack Skills - Trail Essentials course instead or have a look at our choosing the right course FAQ page.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
I just wanted to say how much I got out of the course and the guided ride yesterday. Please pass on my thanks to Neil (the coach) who made the course fun whilst passing on many invaluable lessons and tips.
Nigel - Redhill, Surrey
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
£125.00 inc. VAT
For 1 day (7 hours) skills course
To book online please click on your preferred date
- 3Places remaining
- ♀ Women only course
- ☺ Kids course (12-16 years)