Why a fundamentals coaching course?
Maybe you're completely new to mountain biking, or perhaps you're a little more experienced, but you've never been taught the fundamentals of riding off-road. Possibly you've
tried some technical trails,
but lacked confidence and scared yourself a few times?
OurSingletrack Fundamentals coaching course will give you the core skills to get out in the woods tackling technical trails with confidence and commitment.
Following training you will see an immediate improvement in your riding and a boost in confidence. You'll understand how changes in your body position, footwork and where you are looking affect the way your bike behaves on singletrack trails. You'll be able to tackle steeper terrain, corner with greater control and negotiate small trail obstacles with ease.
I had a totally brilliant time and finished the singletrack grinning from ear to ear. Rob (the coach) explained everything so clearly. Thanks again!
Emma - Sittingbourne
The skills taught and practiced on theSingletrack Fundamentals course include:
- Bike Set-up
Choosing the right tyre pressures
- Mind Skills
Relaxing on the bike and staying loose
Riding within yourself to stay in control
- Body Position & Movement
'The Ready Position'
Moving around the bike in three dimensions
Dynamic weight shift
- Speed Control
Braking safely and effectively
When and where to brake
Cornering with speed and confidence
- Trail Obstacles
Negotiating trail obstacles
- Climbing & Descending
Negotiating steep terrain
Roll-ins & bomb holes
- Trail Flow
Reading the trail
Is this course right for me?
Please read the following description. If this sounds like you, then you're perfect for this course:
- You're new to mountain biking or have not been riding off-road for more than a year or so
- You may have may have tried green and blue graded singletrack trails before at a trail centre or similar venue
- You can already ride a bike and understand the principles behind gear selection
- You can already ride comfortably on smooth trails such as tow paths, fire trails and easy bridleways
- You participate in formal exercise at least once per week, though not necessarily on a bike
- You can ride on flat or moderately steep terrain at a steady pace
- You can ride for at least two hours comfortably
If this sounds a little too basic, please choose our Singletrack Improver course instead.
Although the course is flexible it will usually keep to the following programme:
- 08:45-09:00 Arrival at course venue
- 09:00-09:30 Course commences, introductions and equipment check
- 09:30-09.45 Warm-up ride to skills area
- 09:45-13:00 Singletrack skills coaching and practice
- 13:00-13:30 Review and next steps
A massive thank you for The Fundamentals course and guided ride last weekend. I'm still buzzing from it and boring everyone about being able to do a manual!
Rachel - Brixton, South London
At the end of your course you will receive
- Personalised Feedback
to remind you of your performance on your course
- An Action Plan
your coach will tell you what you need to do after your course to consolidate your new skills and progress your mountain biking into the future
- 30 Days Free Support
if you have any questions about what you've learned or need any other advice
Optional afternoon guided ride
What better time to put into practice all your newly acquired skills than to join us in the afternoon for a superb guided singletrack ride around the local hills and valleys.
Our Singletrack Explorer guided rides are perfect for people who have attended our morning Singletrack Fundamentals course. The ride costs just £30.00 and usually last around 2 hours.
Upgrade to two days of coaching & riding
You may wish to consider upgrading to our Fast-track Singletrack Skills two day course.
The Fast-track Singeltrack Skills course costs £179.00 and includes the following sessions:
- Saturday AM - The Fundamentals level 1 skills course
- Saturday PM - Holmbury Hill Singletrack Explorer guided ride
- Sunday AM - Singletrack Improver level 2 skills course
- Sunday PM - Hurtwood Explorer guided ride
Visit the Fast-track Singletrack Skills course page for more information.
*Price does not include accommodation. Options with accommodation start at an inclusive price of £225.00
Get course notes
Find out more about this course including venue information, directions and a full equipment list
To book online please click on your preferred date
Holmbury Hill Surrey Hills
- 3Places remaining
- ♀ Women only course
- ☺ Kids course (12-16 years)